A Tale of Happiness

RA Blog Week Day#6 WILDCARD #2 Coping with Depression - How do you manage the inevitable lows of having RA? Do you view RA as being forever or do you look forward to remission? What are the best ways to cope with the depression associated with RA?

Today I choose WILDCARD #2 on Coping with Depression. As I mentioned in my first blog post this week, in the beginning days of RA, I thought my life was over.

I had to find my smile again. That required reaching down deep and finding that inner child who loved to laugh at the simply pleasures of life.

As a child I used to love to watch "Our Gang or The Little Rascals"... I'll let you in on a little secret. I still do.

This is a time, when I can escape from all all the pain or worry, that living with RA brings. RA is a nasty disease, but I have learned to realize that after all of these years, it will never have me. I can go and be that kid again enjoying "The Little Rascals."

I also love to write and one of my greatest joys was becoming co-author of a book. Grief Diaries: Living with a Brain Injury. It was like my inner child coming back to life. It gave me excitement and purpose.

One of the things that becoming a brain tumor survivor did not do, was to take away my sense of humor. In fact, it may have become more dry. I'm good with that.

One thing that pretty much took care of itself and it still amazes me. My outlook on RA completely changed, after having my brain tumor removed. Things became so much more meaningful. Especially the little things. Seeing a child smile or giggle.

I found that inner child again. I could laugh and feel like anything was possible. I had real HOPE!

I'm not saying that there are not dark days. There sure have been and I am certain, that more days like that are ahead. The key I have found, is not to remain in the valley too long.

That is when I go back to the greatest joys of my childhood and put in a DVD of "The Little Rascals." It brings me back to a wonderful time and the laughter, washes all the sadness and pain away, if only... for a little while.

May my inner child, never grow up. There is a great quote by Voltaire, that I want to leave with you. " I have chosen to be happy, because it is good for my health." Laughter is truly the best medicine.
                                                              Blessings to all!
                                                               Brenda

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tale of a Golden Hero

Tale of a Golden Legacy

A Tale of Golden Connections...