Tale of an Interview with a Warrior!!

Trevor, The Tell Tale Dog...here again to spread awareness and hope.  We are going to do something a bit different this time around.  I am going to be interviewing Brenda..as she is approaching her 3RD anniversary of her brain surgery or as she calls it...her craniversary.

Before we get started though...I must share with some of our readers that good ole Trevor here, made it in the latest Tumors Suck video...those pictures that Brenda took of me...really paid off. 

We have also started something new on Facebook each morning...Trevor's message for the day.  People seem to really enjoy it and we are always happy to start someone's day off with a little inspiration. 

Without further ado...here's my interview with Brenda.

Trevor:  So great to have you here today...Brenda...

Brenda:  Thank you Trevor...it's a pleasure to be here...

Trevor:  So tell the folks here about your brain tumor journey.

Brenda...Well Trevor, on August 26, 2008...I was diagnosed with a meningioma.  That was confirmed with an MRI.  On September 4TH...I saw a neurosurgeon...who confirmed the diagnosis as well...but said we wouldn't know anything for sure until they got in there.  He asked me if I wanted surgery?  What do you think I told him?

Trevor:  What did you tell him...exactly?

Brenda:  I said yes...he said the tumor was headed right toward my motor skills.  He said they could do surgery the following Monday on September 8TH...which has since become my 2ND chance at life.  So 4 days later...I went to the hospital really early in the morning to have a right frontal lobe craniotomy performed.  Talk about scary...they were going to drill inside my head.  I was told I could have a stroke..a seizure or could even die.  I didn't have a choice...this needed to be done because the head pain was getting so severe and very hard to perform my duties at work.

Trevor:  How long a procedure was it? 

Brenda:  He said it would take about 2 hours...but it only took an hour and a half...because when they opened the bone flap...it was essentially ready to be removed.  It was very solid..

Trevor:  How large was your tumor?

Brenda:  He told my Mom at first that it was the size of a marble...but quickly changed that to golf ball.  It measured  2.5 X 2.3 X 2.6 cm.

Trevor: Was it benign?  I know you hate that word...but the folks here would be interested.

Brenda:  Yes Trevor, it was benign and they figured that I had it for at least 20 years...because this type of tumor is usually slow growing. 

Trevor:  What was your recovery time?

Brenda:  I was in the ICU for a day and a half and then another private room for another day...I was off 2 weeks from work and then returned full time...which was too soon.  I landed in the ER after a full week of work and ended up missing another week.  My work restriction in total was 3 months.

Trevor:  Would you say you have recovered completely?

Brenda:  No...Trevor...sorry to say that is just not the case.  I still deal with lots of motion issues...nausea...almost every day and head pain when the weather is wacky.  I am also very emotional because of the location of the tumor.

Trevor:  I am sorry to hear that.  Then how do you cope?

Brenda:  I started my blog Brenda's Brainstorm, quite some time after my surgery.  I discovered that I actually became creative.  I guess it happens sometimes.  Writing for me is very cathartic.  The fact that others have told me that I am a great writer...also helps a great deal.

Trevor:  What has been the highlight of your brain tumor journey?

Brenda:  Being able to attend the Meningioma Mommas meet & greet in Omaha, NE this April.  I got to meet some really cool people and we were able to share our stories. 

Trevor:  That sounds wonderful...what else?

Brenda:  Just being able to connect with so many wonderful brain tumor survivors and those that are still fighting the battle.  We all belong to a special social club...and only those who belong...truly understand what I mean.

Trevor: Why don't you tell the folks, who your primary caregiver was during your recovery?

Brenda:  That would have been my Mom...who passed away this year on May 31ST from congestive heart failure.  She did a wonderful job of taking care of me.  I really wanted to go back to my apartment...but she wouldn't hear of it for at least a week. 

Trevor:  I'm sure you miss her very much...I am so sorry for your loss.

Brenda:  Thanks Trevor, she was a wonderful person and I have many wonderful memories of her, to keep in my heart. 

Trevor:  What would you tell the folks out there who are battling every day with a brain tumor or still recovering such as yourself?

Brenda:  Never give up hope.  You better than anyone knows your body.  Always listen to its signals and never be afraid to ask any doctor any questions you may have.  Above all, know that there are many out there, that are in your corner and fighting right along side of you. 

Trevor:  So you would say that brain tumor support groups are very important?

Brenda:  Absolutely, without question.  They have helped me so much and I hope, I have in turn, been a help as well.  It goes both ways.  I admire the people who had the drive and ambition to start these groups.

Trevor:  Are they all closed groups?

Brenda:  No, some are also open.  They are usually for the survivors.  The closed ones are more for those who just want a place to be more open about their struggles and the care givers are more involved with these...in fact, some caregivers have started such groups. 

Trevor:  These are located on Facebook, right?

Brenda:  Yes...Trevor that is correct.  There are also all kinds of groups out there on the web.  I belong to Meningioma Mommas...which is a closed group...but they also have an open group on Facebook...which I feel is good exposure for us. 

Trevor:  That just sounds wonderful.  Brenda it has been a pleasure spending this time with you. Anything else, you would like to share with our readers?

Brenda:  Thanks, it's been a pleasure sharing with you also.  I would just like to say..that each day is a gift...cherish it and also your loved ones.  We are all in this together...and someday...I hope and pray, there will be a cure for brain tumors and brain cancer.

Trevor:  Well that's all for this time folks.  I hope you have enjoyed this interview?  I want to again thank Brenda, for taking the time out to make this happen.  Congrats on your 3RD second chance at life.

Brenda:  Thank you so much Trevor and it was a pleasure doing this interview.    

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tale of a Golden Hero

Tale of a Golden Legacy

A Tale of Golden Connections...