She's Still Standing; An Inspirational Tale...

Hello it's Trevor here, with our monthly tale. This has been quite the month for Brenda. She started her 32nd year of employment with the clinic on June 2nd. As some of you know, she was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis (RA) 28 years ago. On September 8th, she will celebrate her 11th year of becoming a brain tumor survivor.

Before going on with this tale; we want to let our readers know, that it was inspired by one of Brenda's favorite songs and singers. "'I'm Still Standing" with lyrics by Bernie Taupin and singing this truly upbeat inspirational anthem; is none other than one of Brenda's favorite singers in the whole wide world, Sir Elton John.

Brenda recently saw Rocketman twice, based on Elton John's life. While we don't want to give too much away, if you haven't had a chance to see it. You should! Brenda loved how they focused on the friendship between Bernie and Elton. Imagine, sending the words to someone in the mail, then you sit down at the piano and set those words to music. That is exactly what happened. It was a beautiful thing to see how this continued to unfold. Bernie was truly the brother Elton never had. He had his back. Go see the movie and you will understand, why Brenda loved it so much.

The part of this song that resonates with Brenda so much is the chorus. It goes like this;

"Don't you know I'm still standing better than I ever did
Looking like a true survivor, feeling like a little kid."


Elton John recently did an interview where he said, he felt like a little kid. He turned 72 this year and to still feel like that, after all he's gone through is a true testament of a survivor.

Well, now you have some great background for our tale. Brenda is a survivor. She does not like to use the terminology that she suffers with RA. She lives with it. Brenda is also a brain tumor survivor, even though that experience left her with an acquired brain injury. Frontal lobe syndrome can be hard to deal with. It can also be a blessing, which in Brenda's case it truly became that.

Brenda started blogging 10 years ago this month. That gift appeared almost a year after her craniotomy. She sat down at her computer one day and started writing. Her mother who has since passed, told her; "I had no idea you could write like that, it just flows."

Elton John was asked how he could just sit down at the piano and belt out a tune. He said: "I have no idea, it's God given." A gift indeed.

That's how Brenda feels about her life. Even with everything that has been thrown at her and it's been a lot, she continues to stand. I don't think that song means that you literally stand all day. I think it means that you continue to fight, even while you're sitting in pain. I think the essence of that song is coming into your own and choosing to make the best of things.

I've heard that song many times, and that is my interpretation from a dog's point of view. BOL As Brenda's storyteller for over 8 years, I know what she likes to read. I'm a big part of this blog. Brenda decided that it needed to be spiced up a bit. If you can make something better, why not? I'm a golden retriever, who enjoys sharing these tales with you. I'm not real, but I do stand. BOL I crack myself up at times. BOL

Brenda is almost 60 years old, but she still feels like a little kid. May her inner child never grow old or anyone's for that matter.

Brenda got to see Elton John live in concert on April 6, 2011. A night she will never forget. Her mother was in a nursing home losing her battle with congestive heart failure, but she insisted that Brenda attend this event. When he stepped out on the stage, Brenda got chills. It was so exciting to finally see one of her favorite performers. Elton gave a wonderful show for almost 3 hours, without a break. He didn't sing "I'm Still Standing" that evening, but he did sing "Rocket Man." In fact, Brenda purchased a T-shirt before that concert and ended up wearing it, at the movie the other evening. Even sweeter, it had across the top Rocket Man.

Elton John's music and Bernie Taupin's lyrics are timeless. Although Elton will no longer be touring, we thank him for the wonderful gift of music and song, for all of these years.

I also thank him for inspiring Brenda to continue her fight with such a great song as; "I'm Still Standing." Yeah yeah yeah!

We would like to leave you with these most inspiring lyrics... ~T Man barking off~



              I'm Still Standing



You could never know what it's like
Your blood like winter freezes just like ice
And there's a cold lonely light that shines from you
You'll wind up like the wreck you hide behind that mask you use
And did you think this fool could never win
Well look at me, I'm coming back again
I got a taste of love in a simple way
And if you need to know while I'm still standing you just fade away
Don't you know I'm still standing better than I ever did
Looking like a true survivor, feeling like a little kid
I'm still standing after all this time
Picking up the pieces of my life without you on my mind
I'm still standing yeah yeah yeah
I'm still standing yeah yeah yeah
Once I never could hope to win
You starting down the road leaving me again
The threats you made were meant to cut me down
And if our love was just a circus you'd be a clown by now
You know I'm still standing better than I ever did
Looking like a true survivor, feeling like a little kid
I'm still standing after all this time
Picking up the pieces of my life without you on my mind
I'm still standing yeah yeah yeah
I'm still standing yeah yeah yeah
Don't you know I'm still standing better than I ever did
Looking like a true survivor, feeling like a little kid
I'm still standing after all this time
Picking up the pieces of my life without you on my mind
I'm still standing yeah yeah yeah
I'm still standing yeah yeah yeah
I'm still standing yeah yeah yeah
I'm still standing yeah yeah yeah

Songwriters: Bernie Taupin / Elton John
I'm Still Standing lyrics © Universal Music Publishing Group




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tale of a Golden Hero

Tale of a Golden Legacy

A Tale of Golden Connections...