A Tale of Doctor to Doctor

RABlog Week Wildcard #1 - New doctors - Ideas for breaking in new doctors, how to begin the process of establishing viable collaborative patient/doctor relationships. What do you do in those days leading up to the new doctor visit?

This blog post is about the time that I met my new rheumatologist for the first time. He told me that I was in remission. Even though it lasted for only a few months, it gives me hope that I will one day hear those words again. It was written back in 2010, but my blog was updated in May of this year. He moved away to become a teacher, but he was the best rheumatologist that I ever had. I hope you enjoy my first encounter with him. I also share about seeing my neurosurgeon, as I was experiencing some issues after my craniotomy on September 8, 2008. 


This blog is actually going to be written in 2 different parts. The first, I have lived with Rheumatoid Arthritis for over 18 1/2 years. The second part will be about my life as a Meningioma brain tumor survivor...thus far.

On to the first part. I really can't even believe I am writing this. I have pretty much avoided rheumatologists for the most part...over the years of living with RA...primarily, because they have been so negative. They would say things like..."You are going to get worse." Just wonderful! That's the last thing..anyone living with a chronic disease...needs to hear.

Well...this time was very different. He entered the room...so upbeat and extended his hand and get this..he bowed. He is from India...and very polite and speaks excellent English. That was really a nice change from usually, not being able to understand what they are trying to say.

He actually commented on my being so knowledgeable about my disease and seemed very impressed...that I have taken such an interest. The thing here is folks...either you let this disease beat you..or you decide that you are going to learn as much as you can..about how you can cope. Knowledge is power...I really believe that.

We discussed how when I was diagnosed and what meds I took. He also mentioned something very interesting. He said that the RA was actually probably beginning back in 1988..when I went to the famous Mayo Clinic...for my costochondritis..for which I had some cartilages removed from my chest wall..later that year. It usually starts up in the primary joints..such as the wrists, hands, feet or ankles. Mine began in my wrists and ankles. My ankles used to be so swollen at times...that I could hardly put on shoes. My knuckles would be red and swollen at times too.

Well today..he said I have no joint deformity whatsoever. He also asked me if I have seen other people with RA who have? He also said that with the drug I am using and have been on for over 8 years now...that I AM IN REMISSION! I never thought...I would ever hear those words.

He of course...just wants to be sure...nothing else is cooking. So on to Radiology and Lab...I went. First...they did x-rays of my hands, ankles and feet..which have never been done to my knowledge ever! Then they took 4 vials of blood. No wonder...they call them vampires! lol

All in all...I was very happy with my visit to this rheumatologist. He was very kind and actually let me ask questions...such a difference. He said I am doing so well...for someone with RA and also mentioned that back in the day...when these kinds of meds were not available..that people like me, would not be working.

During the course of the exam...it was really hard to hold back tears..because he was just so wonderful and constantly acknowledged...that I knew what I was talking about.

I finally met with a doctor who gets it. It was just awesome...which was a word he used a few times during the exam. I thought that was really cool! He ended the visit..by again extending his hand.

 What a great visit!


On to part two. I had my head CT today...and thankfully...I got the ALL CLEAR!

I did see my neurosurgeon (NS)...after the scan. He showed me the comparisons between the one done after the brain surgery in October of 2008 and today's. It really was quite different!

He said that there is no real explanation for the severe HEAD PAIN and nausea...when I bend down or tip my head back. For that reason...he recommended I see a neurologist. I told him I would not see the one...I did before. Just so happens that there is a lady on board. I am going to see her next week. I believe this is a smart move..because I want to get to the bottom of this ASAP!

The one thing that he did say and I was so glad to hear...was that he would not have to go inside my head again. What a relief!

He is still just as kind and professional...as he has always been. He extended his hand at the end of the visit..and said it was nice to see me again.

He said for now...just try and stay comfortable with OTC pain relievers. I also mentioned that I was wearing a cap to bed and that it really seemed to help. His response...whatever works! I liked that!

I also realize...that this is something I am going to have to learn to tolerate...for possibly the rest of my life. Think about it..when they drill inside your head..there is bound to be things that are possibly rearranged. I don't know...but that is how I see it.

At any rate...I have really found out this week, just how many great friends I have.

I just want to thank you all for your words of encouragement, thoughts and prayers. As my new rheumatologist said to me yesterday...it went something like this.."We don't know everything...but He knows all."

So my life as a Meningioma brain tumor survivor continues. I will continue to spread the word, to anyone who is willing to listen.

This has really turned out to be a blessing in disguise for me. I'm pretty sure I would not be writing...had it not been for this experience.

Life has a way of throwing things at you, when you least expect it..but it can really turn out to be a blessing...if you just let it. Remember...always look for that open door.

Well...that's my 2 stories combined into one blog. I am really fortunate...that I have such great doctors...who care and respect me. That is just so rare!

~Brenda~


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tale of a Golden Hero

Tale of a Golden Legacy

A Tale of Golden Connections...