Tale of a Family Reunion...Fabulous Food & Lots of Laughter

Recently, I attended our bi-annual family reunion on my late Dad's side. This was the 2ND one without him...and also the first one for me, since I had my brain surgery...which made me realize, that I had not been on a road trip for almost 2 years. WOW!

My cousin took Mom & me up to Bowdon...which happens to be the town where I grew up. The event was held at our local community center.

Bowdon is about 100 miles from Bismarck, so we saw some beautiful crops on our journey. The flax was especially beautiful this time of year...and you should have seen all the hay and the sunflowers looked good too. They have had a lot more rain than we have.

We made a stop to the cemetery, where my Dad is buried and some of my other relatives as well. His tombstone still looks beautiful after almost 3 years. There is a badge engraved..as he was Chief of Police..and the funeral director, thought this would be a nice touch. They really keep the grounds looking really nice.

We arrived at the community center around noon and right away..people were coming up to greet me. You see...some of us have gotten connected on Facebook, so I had the advantage of knowing what some would look like..as I had not seen some of my cousins in over 20 years.

We had some old friends from our church who were there, as well as some new faces. We had over 80 people in attendance. I thought for a one day event...that was pretty awesome!

The food was great. We always do potluck...so we had a wide variety..from hot dishes...to salads and loads of desserts. Needless to say...we had plenty and nobody went away hungry!

After we were done eating...we had a program. One of my cousins was the MC and did a fine job...keeping everything organized, etc. My cousins, aunt, uncle, sister, brother-in-law, nieces and great nephew...all did a fine job of singing.

We also had a time of sharing memories...I shared my previous blog I had written on Dad...in honor of him. My cousin from another state shared a letter with us...as she was unable to attend. We also had many stories and jokes.

We had a lot of laughter and even some tears...as we remembered those who are no longer with us.

I had a great time...and some of my cousins are even talking of attending the next one in 2 years. It was great to see so many young people in attendance..as they are the families of the future.

I was glad to be a part of this..as it all begins with family.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tale of a Golden Hero

Tale of a Golden Legacy

A Tale of Golden Connections...