My Personal Tale of Pain Meds and Excerpts from A Tale of Tragedy

RA Blog Week: Day #4 Today's writing prompt is; The pain of pain meds - Pain medication prescriptions are difficult to obtain and scary to use. What horror stories do you have because of new laws? Maybe you have been treated badly at the pharmacy or by family members? 

I actually touched on this very subject with a blog post in April of 2014. My storyteller, Trevor had this to share. I will post the highlights from that blog. It was titled: A Tale of Tragedy...

There has been much discussion on social media about the use of marijuana for medicinal
purposes. There has also been some heavy discussion on the use of narcotics. Here is the
thing folks, if you live with chronic pain, Brenda believes in the right and passage,
to be using these mediums. She would like to see legalization of marijuana in her state.
Some of you are gasping I am sure. She doesn't want it to get high, so don't be so quick
to judge, if you have not lived with chronic pain. She knows people who have seizures,
for which this has helped.


The other thing is the use of narcotics. Some who use these, are not ADDICTS! They know
how to use them, as for some, this is the only quality of life. Now the real tragedy is,
when you enter your pharmacy and you are told that you are restricted to the amount
that you can receive. She realizes there are drug seekers out there, but why should the
rest of the population who uses narcotics responsibly, have to suffer? This makes her
blood boil. Brenda herself does not use narcotics, but that is not to say, that there may
come a time, when she may have to. Brenda does however, suffer with chronic
motion issues, since her brain surgery. Her nausea is really bad some days and I
am really concerned, she may fall and hurt herself, when she feels unsteady. She has
tried, but it has been unsuccessful, with going to a balance clinic, as she could not
even complete the tests, as she became so sick. There is definitely a problem, but
they just cannot seem to get to the bottom of it. She would like the chance to see if
trying marijuana could at least alleviate this. She is not talking about smoking it,
but to get it in another form and just enough to help with relief. I want to ask our
readers, do you live with vertigo or constant nausea? We are talking every day.
Brenda doesn't live with vertigo, as she was tested for that, but the nausea is a
horrible thing to live with. There are days when Brenda just has such a hard time
dealing with this. Brenda does live with chronic pain, so she does truly
understand, what others are up against in this battle.


So ask yourself, if you or someone you love suddenly was diagnosed with an
inflammatory condition, that would be chronic, wouldn't you want them to be
comfortable? Of course you would.


I know we are definitely stepping on some toes here. We really do not care about
that. Brenda believes that we should all have a chance, at a quality of life. If you
firmly believe that we only want these drugs to get high, when we only want
relief from our pain, than that my friends, is the real tragedy.


I am going to stop there, as we hopefully have given you a lot to digest.

I thought this was the best way to present our perspective on this issue.

Just an update on my vertigo issue: On September 26, 2014, I landed in the ER with an attack of what was confirmed to be benign positional vertigo or BPV. Just to illustrate how serious it can be, I have to have a pillow when my chair is tilted back at the dentist, as my head starts to feel it. That was noted in my chart yesterday, when I was there for a tooth to be fixed. I can no longer have my hair shampooed at the beauty salon, as that involves tilting it back. I shampoo it myself, while standing in the shower, prior to getting my haircut. I am fortunate, to have an understanding hairstylist who gets it.

So on top of the constant nausea and the occasional vertigo attacks, I would very much like some kind of relief, as was mentioned above.

Quality of life is not too much to ask, when we are forced to engage in this battle.

Brenda

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tale of a Golden Hero

Tale of a Golden Legacy

A Tale of Golden Connections...