Tale of Crafts and a Mother's Love...

This is going to be about my mom....and just how special she is to me.

She has not only been a great mom....but she is extremely talented!

While I was growing up.....she sewed many of our clothes....made many... very delicious meals.....as she is a great cook. One of my old time favorites....and still is to this day....is her chicken and dumplings. Cheese buttons....another favorite....and at Christmas.....her famous sparrows....which are deep fried donuts with raisins in them. NO we don't eat little birds. lol.

In addition to sewing many clothes, she also did a lot of crafts. She has made close to 30 pieced quilts on her sewing machine. The special thing about these quilts...is that they were usually made with different materials left over from clothes....she had made us or that my sister had.

She also has made doilies consisting of....dresser scarfs, different shapes and sizes for tables, etc. These were crocheted....as well as pot holders. She once made tea cups....which were pin cushions....all different colors for my co- workers. They were all so surprised....because I had went around asking them what their favorite colors were? They had no idea....what we had in mind. They really liked them. I was so proud of her....for doing that.

She surprised me.....by crocheting a beautiful afghan....with squares no 2 combinations are the same....surrounded by yellow....which happens to be my favorite color.

She also did some embroidering....and finished the pillows....I had latched hooked....as I did not inherit the sewing talent. lol.

She also drew up the plans for our new house. She is really good with figures...it's like she has a calculator in her head. lol. She can pretty much tell what her items in the store will cost her....that are in her shopping cart...by roughly figuring them out in her head. She is that GOOD!

She only went through the 8th grade....because back in that day...it just was not feasible...because they had to stay at different places during the week....etc.

Mom is the type of person...who was and is still willing to learn new things. She is just so intelligent....I am just amazed at all the things....she has done in her lifetime....despite.....not finishing high school.

She took excellent care of my sister....the one who died from colon cancer. She stayed at mom & dad's....a great deal after her first surgery. I'm so glad she had a place to go to.

She loved my dad very much....and took very good care of him....during his 4 years + of Alzheimer's. She had him at home just shy of a couple of weeks...before he died. I really admire her for doing that. I have told her that many times.

My mom has a quiet strength.....she has done so much for others. She never complains. She says....it wouldn't do any good. She also has a great faith in God....and she lives by example. She is honest to a fault...which I really appreciate. She taught me to have respect for people....and to be kind and generous.

She is probably my best friend.....as she has always been there for me. She always told me to "Just do my best".....that's all she has ever expected.

She was there when I went through my brain surgery last September. She took really good care of me too. She didn't want me staying alone for at least a week.

Being that she is such a good cook and all....I hired her to do all my cooking...so all I had to do was put the meals in the microwave. You see....I wasn't to do any bending or lifting....for a little while after my surgery. It was with great pride to see her pick out her purse at JC Penney.....one she could really enjoy and not have to worry about the cost. I love doing things for her....because she is just that special to ME! 

She did something that kinda surprised me....and yet I thought was very sweet at the same time. When I was on my way to the OR before my brain surgery....she leaned over and kissed me on the cheek. I really knew....at that moment....that she was concerned and really loved me TOO! 

Since....my dad has been gone...we do embrace almost every day. I realize....we have each other....and that is really super special to ME! 

She is teaching me to master Sudoku...as that is good for stimulating the brain. I am only doing the easy ones! lol.

I love my mom so much....and I am glad that I was able to share with you....just how very proud I am of her! 

Mom.....thanks for being such a great person....that I can look up to and admire. I love you! 

Brenda 

Just a note about this. I had the great pleasure of reading this at her funeral in the past tense. 

Comments

  1. This reminded me of my mom who passed so long ago but still feels like yesterday. Thank you for sharing . Kelly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kelly, for stopping by. Yes, those feelings seem to rise to the surface, even though it's been years since our mother's passed. I'm glad you found it relatable. Blessings, Brenda

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Tale of a Golden Hero

Tale of a Golden Legacy

A Tale of Golden Connections...