A Tale of You've Come A Long Way Baby, But You Haven't Arrived Yet!

The idea for this title actually comes from an old cigarette commercial. Remember...when those were allowed to air on TV? The ad was for Virginia Slims...You've come a long way baby, to get where your going today, etc. Anyway, those were banned in the early 70's...when I was still in grade school.

Even though...I have never smoked...I was always captivated by that slogan.

I guess this could apply to anyone...but here...it's going to be about my journey...and how far I have come. I'm not sure when the arrival part takes place though.

Anyway...before I go on... with what I am writing about...as my mother would say, "Just take out the meat and leave the bones." I think that is really great advice for anything in life...really! : )

I do know one thing for sure..that I still have a long way to go...even though I have come this far.

I have had many ups and downs in my personal life. Who hasn't?
    

I now have a new title..of being a brain tumor survivor..one whole year + has passed. Sometimes...when I say the words out loud...it just seems so unreal to me. It's like I have entered a different dimension.

I also felt this same way..when my sister and father passed away. You know they are gone..but it's like..you are some place else. It's like peeking into a window from the outside looking in. It's strange..but if you ever have experienced this...or sometime down the road will...you would truly understand.

So you continue to plug along...sometimes my engine gets tired and runs out of steam..and needs to be rejuvenated. That feels so good when that happens. : )

It's also good to be able to look back..and see how far you have actually come. Writing is an excellent way to track that progress. That's why I have kept a journal since my 6th month anniversary of my brain surgery.

I have also completed my 21st year at my place of employment...the longest I have worked anywhere. I have moved around to a lot of different departments..but each move has been a stepping stone and an opportunity to learn more and to gain more knowledge. I really believe that *Knowledge is Power.*

Statistically...people like me are not working after 10 years. You see..I also struggle with RA (Rheumatoid Arthritis)..and have now..for over 18 years. I do very well due to a wonderful drug...that I have been on now..for over 8 years..as has been mentioned in a previous blog. : )

I have to fight every day! I get fatigued very easily..especially since having this brain surgery. You just keep telling yourself that you can do this. I do a lot of self talking...to myself of course. lol

I used to go for long walks..but not so much anymore. I just get too tired..but I do exercise..and I really feel great after a satisfied work out. : )

I have been told by many people...in my support group Meningioma Mommas and elsewhere...that I am an inspiration. Well...I wouldn't have gotten that far...if I wasn't willing to fight.

So..I haven't traveled so much..I did pretty much all of that..when I was a teenager and into my 20's.

I'm not famous or noteworthy by the world's standards. I believe..you can be your own hero and you don't even need a special vest. lol

I love helping others..and that's why I share these thoughts with you.

I have also been told that I am a good writer..I really didn't think I ever had it in me. I really think though..when you go through a traumatic event..it causes you to reflect and you just need to get it down on paper. Suddenly..it turns into a story. A year ago..I would not have been doing something like this.

They say...that having brain surgery...can actually cause you to become more creative. I don't know if that's true..but I think you really begin to look at life a lot more differently. I know I do..for sure.

So maybe I haven't arrived just yet...but I do know one thing...I have come a long way baby!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tale of a Golden Hero

Tale of a Golden Legacy

A Tale of Golden Connections...